REPORT Glossop North End edge past Ossett Albion
Sunday 10th September 2017 19:04 Reports Sports Posted by Adam Higgins

Report by Adam Higgins
Pictures by Steve Dyson

Glossop North End made it back-to-back wins in the Evo-Stik First Division North for the second time this season after edging past 10-man Ossett Albion.

The Hillmen led at the break through Ben Deegan’s close-range finish and doubled the lead early in the second half through Courtney Meppen-Walter’s emphatic penalty, after Ossett’s Danny South was sent off.

Albion pulled a goal back through Ben Walker just after the hour mark but Glossop, who hit the woodwork an incredible four times in the game, held on for the three points to follow up Tuesday’s 5-2 victory over Brighouse Town and move up to fourth in the table.

On a wet day in West Yorkshire, Glossop – playing on the road for the third successive Saturday – made a positive start as Callum Chippendale called Albion keeper Dylan Parkin into action inside the first 10 minutes with a long-distance effort.

Jude Oyibo also came close on a couple of occasions and Adam Jones glanced a header wide from a corner as the Hillmen applied pressure during the first half.

Couldn’t miss: Deegan had the simplest of tasks to give Glossop the lead from virtually a yard out as the former Ashton United and Warrington Town striker scored for the third successive game

And it paid off just before the half-hour mark as Deegan tapped in from close range after Parkin failed to deal with a left-wing cross, having got no distance on his punch clear.

Seeing red: Danny South was given his marching orders by referee Neil Howlett

Meppen-Walter hit the crossbar with a header but extended Glossop’s advantage four minutes after the break from the spot as South was dismissed for bringing down Harry Brazel in the box as the last man.

Unstoppable: Meppen-Walter now has a hat-trick of penalty conversions already this season after rifling home what proved to be the winner for Glossop

It could have got better for the visitors as captain Jay Gorton went close before Chris Baguley shot straight at Parkin. There were a couple of further close shaves when Meppen-Walter’s strike grazed the crossbar and substitute Dale Johnson’s cross-cum-shot was scrambled off the line.

Albion, however, got back into the game in the 63rd minute when Callum Charlton’s shot was only parried by Glossop keeper Russell Saunders and Walker was on hand to crash in the rebound.

Glossop should have won by a more comfortable margin as the woodwork denied them again on three more occasions – Baguley’s long-range strike was turned onto the crossbar by Parkin and cut inside to hit the post before Connor Martin also struck the post.

But the most important factor was the victory, which was most welcome for Paul Phillips and Steve Halford’s men after successive defeats on the road and gives the Hillmen another injection of confidence. They are not in action again until next Saturday when Kendal Town visit Surrey Street.

Wet wet wet: Conditions were difficult for the players at times at the Warehouse Systems Stadium amid the adverse weather


Ossett Albion: Parkin, Dawson, Charlton, Holt (c), Wilkinson (Riordan), South, Walker (Hennessey), Hurtley, Muller, Snodin, Hardaker (Hunter).

Subs not used: Yates, Nicholson.

Goals: Walker (63′)

Glossop North End: Saunders, Brownhill, Russell, Gorton (c), Jones, Meppen-Walter, Brazel, Baguley, Deegan (Martin), Oyibo (Johnson), Chippendale (M Russell).

Subs not used: Rick, Young.

Goals: Deegan (29′), Meppen-Walter (49′ pen)

Referee: Neil Howlett
Attendance: 152