REPORT Glossop beat Tadcaster to advance in FA Trophy
Sunday 8th October 2017 16:58 Reports Sports Posted by Adam Higgins

Report by Adam Higgins
Pictures by Steve Dyson

Glossop North End advanced to the first qualifying round of the FA Trophy after a 2-0 win at fellow Evo-Stik First Division side Tadcaster Albion on Saturday. 

The Hillmen scored early and late on at the i2i Stadium, with Man of the Match Chris Baguley setting up the first, which was an own goal by Josh Barrett, before scoring the second himself with a deadly strike from distance.

It’s the second successive season that Glossop have knocked the Brewers out of the competition at this stage, having also prevailed 2-0 at Surrey Street a year ago in a Preliminary Round tie.

The Hillmen fell to local rivals Buxton at the second hurdle in 2016/17 but will be hoping to go one better this time, as they await the draw to find out who they will play in the next round on October 28.

Watching on: Glossop fans helped to make up a healthy crowd at the i2i Stadium on Non League Day

There was an added buzz in the air in North Yorkshire on what was Non League Day, an annual event which celebrates semi-professional and grassroots football, where supporters of clubs playing at the highest levels of the game are encouraged to experience football at non-league level and support their local team.

In front of a crowd of 227, Tadcaster came out of the traps much quicker and almost took the lead inside 30 seconds when Tom Corner released Aiden Savory down the right and he crossed towards an unmarked Conor Sellars but the forward couldn’t make the telling connection.

In the third minute, joint top scorer Savory then lashed wide of the post after latching onto a long punt downfield by goalkeeper Greg Hartley.

But, against the run of the early play, the visitors got their noses in front on six minutes as Baguley’s dangerous cross was flicked on and ricocheted in off the unfortunate Barrett from close range.

Decisive: The own goal early on gave Glossop the platform to go on to win

Tadcaster, seeking a fourth successive home win, almost responded immediately but were denied by the woodwork as Josh Greening’s inswinging free-kick was headed against the goal frame by Savory before Andy Milne could only turn the rebound wide of the post.

On a windy afternoon, Glossop settled into their rhythm on a slick surface and were in the ascendancy for much of what was a largely scrappy first half, without being able to carve Albion open.

The only further chance of note was when Connor Martin got the better of Barrett but, after getting to the byline, his cross was scraped away by Pete Davidson, who blasted wide at the other end when Greening’s corner was parried out by Glossop keeper Russell Saunders.

Hosts: Tadcaster sit eighth in the Evo-Stik First Division with 17 points from 11 games so far

Tadcaster seized control in the second half as Corner’s tame header and Savory’s powerful strike were well saved by Saunders after some good football.

The hosts continued to force the issue in search of an equaliser, with Corner and debutant left-back Laurence Hunter both seeing efforts well blocked before Greening tested Saunders again after cutting inside.

But, to their credit, the Hillmen soaked up the pressure and remained resilient before sealing the win eight minutes from time as Baguley rifled in an arrowed effort from around 25 yards following a game of head tennis.

It could have been three soon after but Tadcaster keeper Hartley was able to keep out Callum Chippendale’s effort as Glossop claimed a sixth win in their seven-match unbeaten run and will be looking to extend the positive record on their return to league action at home to struggling Radcliffe Borough next Saturday (October 14).

Fierce: Baguley’s strike from distance found the net late on to ensure Glossop’s progress¬†



Tadcaster Albion: Hartley, Hardy, Hunter, Howarth, Milne (c), Barrett, Sellars (Murray 69′), Davidson, Corner, Savory, Greening.

Unused substitutes: Mycoe, Ellam, Dixon, Akeroyd.

Glossop North End: Saunders, Haslam, Wood, Lacy, Jones, Meppen-Walter, Rick, Gee (Chippendale 53′), Deegan (Oyibo 53′), Martin (Hill 69′), Baguley.

Unused substitutes: Kisimba, Russell.

Goals: Barrett (6′ og), Baguley (82′)

Referee: Peter Henger
Attendance: 227